Just across the street from WestLicht was once the site of the first building of the Graphische Bundeslehr- und Versuchsanstalt founded in 1888. The district today is a favourite neighbourhood among creatives and with a flourishing infrastructure of camera stores, printers and framers is perfectly fitted for the needs of photographers.
WestLicht is located in a former glass factory which was then used as a photo studio. The conversion into an exhibition space was carried out by architects Eichinger oder Knechtl in 2001. Specially designed display cases and a lighting system were created to emphasize the minimalist space and accentuate the objects.
The foundation of WestLicht was initiated by Peter Coeln who currently serves as the chairman of the Verein zur Förderung der Fotografie (association for the promotion of photography) WestLicht. He counts among the most important collectors of camera technology in the world.